vendredi 12 février 2010

Diastatic What?


What is that smell? Is it roasting cucumber? Is someone barbecuing a cantelope in my Kitchen? Jane is that you?
A couple of years ago, I read about a technique in bread making where one takes sprouted grain, lightly roasts it, and dehydrates it, grinding it into a flour and adding a small portion to bread recipes. The flour is supposed to help convert carbohydrates into sugars more easily digestable to yeast. At first it all seemed too much work for a layperson (non-baker) to go through for a good loaf of bread, but since my knowledge and practise of sprouting has taken off, I realized that it was time to give it a try. If not only for the joy of the ritual, but the bread that would result. The smell of the grain is intoxicating; sweet and fresh, it's not what most of us think of when we think of wheat. It is changing my whole perception of a grain - for the better.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire