mercredi 29 août 2018

Onion maggots, aphids, and cucumber beetles

Usually it's flea beetles that bring us frustration. I would go out into the garden and shake up my mustard greens and watch them all jump.
We moved last year and that changed. I see far fewer of them, and I no longer see an entire bed wiped out by them.  No, in fact I have new pests. New friends to take care of. New vegetables to harvest early or to watch dissapear. Onion maggots ate all my leeks. Aphids of all things, too.
Should I be happy that these little guys are eating as though a cute little rabbit came along for a bite. I would be happy to feed a cute little rabbit. So, why does it bother me to feed these little insects - they have to eat too. 
There is some hangup we have about bugs though. If I feed a rabbit, I am doing a good job regulating the ecosystem. If I feed an infestation of bugs, I am doing a poor job. It's a balance I suppose. Just gotta keep gardening, and start spacing out those leeks!

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire